Thursday, May 15, 2008

Antique Compass

I started this yesterday and almost wiped it out because I was having trouble with the composition. I changed the background and adjusted the values and now I think it works. This is a gimballed mariners compass that was used by my late husband's grandfather and is part of a small collection of his items that we have inherited. Now that I have tackled it once I think I will be able to include it in future compositions without being so afraid of the drawing. I have looked several times at his sextant as a possible subject but, wow, the drawing is daunting!
It is 5" by 7" on Masonite panel and is available from me. By the way, many of my past "dailies" have found their way to the Yukon Artists at Work Gallery in McCrae.
Thanks for Looking!
Val

1 comment:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Well, Val you set yourself up good with this one! You are simply proving you have excellent drawing skills! And grit! :)


This is a beautiful piece though, no matter how you had to struggle to get it to be so!